EFFECT OF HEAT ON VARIOUS FOOD NUTRIENTS AND SUBSTANCES WITH THEIR CONSEQUENCE
Recently in our previous post we share about various food nutrients, and how to maintain a balance diet. Today we will be sharing what are effects of heat on the food nutrients. Food nutrients respond differently to heat reaction and it will be good if you know how nutrients respond to heat so that you will handle them better.
Carbohydrates are affected differently by either moist or dry heat.
Moist heat has the following effects;
• Gelatinizes the carbohydrates.
• Softens the carbohydrates.
Dry heat on the other hand;
• Caramelizes the carbohydrates i.e. turns brown; which occurs in highly heated sugar and brown bread.
• Dextrinizes the carbohydrates i.e. broken down into digestible units.
The chemical reaction that occurs when heat is applied to protein is called coagulation e.g. when an egg is boiled it coagulates.
• Denatures protein.
• Impairs the physical function of the protein e.g. hormonal and enzymes functions are stopped;
• May toughen the protein, especially if overcooked; and
• Shrinks the protein.
FATS AND OILS
Fats when heated melt to oil, further heating of the oil to smoke point decomposes it to fatty acids and glycerol. Further heating beyond the smoke point decomposes the oil to acrolein which is poisonous.
VITAMINS AND MINERAL ELEMENTS
Most vitamins, especially the fat soluble vitamins are stable to heat. However, the water soluble vitamins, especially vitamin C. are easily destroyed by heat. The mineral elements are relatively stable to heat.
So those are the effects of heat on food nutrients and am sure you have learn and gain new knowledge on how you deal with food nutrients and heat in order to maintain a good health condition and a balanced diet.