Daily routine practices in piggery, proper management for healthy and profitable pig farming!!!
As we have earlier discussed on how to start a commercial pig farming business and grow it big within the shortest possible period of time.
Today I want to share with you some vital and important practices that must be well done in piggery management so that you can achieve your aim of venturing into the business, for every business there is a rule or strategy that has been used and it worked so if we want to succeed in the business like others do, it’s always advisable to follow the foot-step of others.
Hog animals (pig) are indeed a very profitable investment but needs lots of attention and care, actually you can venture into pig farming without pro-knowledge but you must be ready to learn fast or perhaps get someone who is already into the business so that he /she can easily guide you through on how to handle and deal with the pigs, please if you are the type that is always scared of animals don’t even try top keep pigs because they can be very aggressive at times.
As WE ALL KNOW pig is a non-ruminant and we have two major species sus-sacrofa and sus-vittatus.
MAJOR ROUTINE PRACTICES IN PIG FARMING:
MUST READ : HOW TO START A COMMERCIAL PIG FARMING BUSINESS AND GROW IT BIG
1. Every morning check for the activeness of the pig, are they doing fine? \most pigs make active noise in the morning as a sign of activeness.
2. Before feeding them make sure you clean up their litters and their pen, get rid of all dirt in the feeders and drinkers.
3. Change the water of the wallow daily and replace with clean, neat and cool water.
4. Watch the improvement in the pig in terms of body weight, feeding rate and their litters for health purpose.
5. If there should be a symptoms of sickness or in-activeness among the pig, separate the sick animals and consult your vet doctor immediately, pig are giant animals with high profitability so losing one can be very painful to the farmer (actually their mortality rate is low).
6. Deworm the pig regularly with drugs, vaccines and appropriate medications should be put in place in other to secure their health.
7. Disinfect piggery, pig pens at regular intervals to make it germ free and clean enough to accommodate a healthy environment for the animals.
8. If in any case chances occur that you have to change their feed I strongly advise you do so gradually so that their digestive system will be able to take it easily without any gastro—disturb.
9. Pig feeds on both grain and meat but its recommended that you feed them offal and not raw meat or flesh because if you feed them raw, they will grow wide.
10. Pig requires a lot of drinkable water to aid their digestion so you must make sure it’s well supplied.
11. Note; Pigs are sensitive to heat and they can die from heat-stress so their house must be well ventilated.
12. When constructing the piggery, it must be fashion in a way that it is easy to clean and scrub away those dirt.
13. Keep pigs of the same sex together, don’t ever keep pigs of opposite sex together except for situation of mating. (Crossing male and female for reproduction).
14. Make sure you locate the pig pen in a rural area or a place with less population of people living there, so that the smell and noise from the pig will not cause nuisance to the inhabitant of the area.
15. Make sure while formulating their feed, a good quality fiber is included as this is a very important part of pig feed.
16. Pigs can be fed with some remnants of farm products but with adequate precautions and it should be a supplement to the normal concentrate feed.
17. If you observe a strange change in the pig or its obvious they are somehow dull, don’t be afraid most times when pig are well fed they will be quiet or even sleep off!
18. If a female pig (sow) gives birth there is a very compulsory iron injection that must be taken if you want to save the life of the pig, piglet are given 1st dose of iron dextran injection at two or three days of birth and the 2nd dose two to three weeks later to prevent pig anaemia it’s very important to administer this iron injection you can consult your vet doctor for more details about this,
some people believe you can load the pen with clayey soil because it as some iron content this is a local method and it’s never reliable.
19. Laxatic diet, rich in high fibres (grasses) should be given to in-sows to aid easy parturition and lactation.
20. Record keeping is a very important practice that must be given an utmost attention in your pig farm, keep regular documentation and development that goes on in the farm always, the record can vary from pregnancy period, number of litter produced, number of males and female in the farm, number of productive pigs, fatteners, and even more.
MUST READ : LISTS OF LUCRATIVE AGRICULTURAL FARMING BUSINESS TO START-UP IN 2014
Those are some of the essential practices that must be carried out in other to succeed in pig farming business.
If you are a pig farmer or you are intending to venture into pig farming I urge you to take heed to some of the procedures that has been outlined in this post and if you have been using them please share your experience with us.
If you are already an expert please do share your view on this post via the comment box
If this post as helped you in anyway kindly share it with your friends using the social sharing buttons.