Although the weather is cooling summer is not quite over yet and I wanted to send it off with a bang with these summery caprese BLT balsamic roasted portobello mushrooms! One of my favourite things in summer is the fresh field ripened tomatoes and I always enjoy them in BLTs!
I was thinking about taking this idea and combining them with another favourite food, mushrooms, and so the idea of a portobello mushroom BLT got stuck in my head.
The basic idea was a BLT with roasted portobello mushrooms as the bread and either using a second mushroom cap to make a sandwich or just using one and going with an open-faced sandwich. Instead of going with a plain portobello mushroom I decided to add some flavour by marinating the mushrooms in a tasty balsamic vinaigrette before roasting (or grilling) them until tender.
Next up was some bacon, basil leaves (as the lettuce) and tomato to give one amazing portobello BLT but I could not help but keep going by adding some summery fresh basil pesto!
That got me thinking about a caprese salad so I added some mozzarella and a balsamic drizzle taking this mushroom sandwich way over the top!
These caprese BLT balsamic roasted portobello mushrooms are just packed with flavour and they are a great way to celebrate the end of summer!
Feel free to omit the cheese!
Top it all off with a second roasted portobello mushroom to make a sandwich!
Pure summery goodness on a bed of mushroom!
Caprese BLT Balsamic Roasted Portobello Mushrooms
Prep Time: 5 minutes Marinate Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutesTotal Time: 45 minutes Servings: 4
Roasted portobello mushroomed marinated in balsamic vinaigrette topped caprese style with tomato, basil pesto and mozzarella in addition BLT style with tomato, basil leaves and bacon along with some creamy avocado.
- 4 medium portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 8 leaves basil
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- Marinated the mushrooms in the balsamic vinaigrette for 20 minutes before baking in a preheated 400F/200C oven until tender, about 10-30 minutes, with the gill side up. (Note: Roasting time can vary greatly depending on how thick your mushrooms are.)
- Meanwhile simmer, the balsamic vinegar until it thickens and reduces to ~1/4 cup and set aside.
- Meanwhile cook the bacon until crispy and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Assemble by spreading the pesto on the portobello mushrooms and topping with the avocado, bacon, basil, tomato and mozzarella and optionally baking until the cheese has melted and drizzling on the balsamic reduction.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 319, Fat 23.2g (Saturated 7.3g, Trans 0),Cholesterol 29mg, Sodium 530mg, Carbs 11.3g (Fiber 5g, Sugars 2.1g),Protein 17.1g