HOW TO TREAT WATER WITH MORINGA SEEDS
Moringa oleifera seeds treat water on two levels, acting both as a coagulant and an antimicrobial agent. It is generally accepted that Moringa works as a coagulant due to positively charged, water-soluble proteins, which bind with negatively charged particles (bacteria, toxins, etc) allowing the resulting “flocs” to settle to the bottom or be removed by filtration.
Solutions of Moringa seeds for water treatment may be prepared from seed kernels or from the solid residue left over after oil extraction (press cake). Moringa seeds, seed kernels or dried press cake can be stored for long periods but Moringa solutions for treating water should be prepared fresh each time. In general, 1 seed kernel will treat
1 liter of water.
STEPS FOR HOUSEHOLD WATER TREATMENT
1. Collect dry mature Moringa oleifera seed pods after which you then remove seeds from pods.
2. Shell seeds (i.e. remove seed coat), the way you shell groundnuts, to obtain clean seed kernels and discard bad seeds.
3. Determine quantity of kernels needed based on amount and turbidity of water. Generally, 1 seed kernel will treat approximately
1 liter of water.
4. Crush appropriate number of seed kernels (using grinder, mortar & pestle, etc) to obtain a fine powder and sift the powder through a mesh.
5. Mix seed powder with a small amount of clean water to form a paste.
6. Mix the paste and 250 ml (1 cup) of clean water into a bottle and shake for 1 minute
to activate the coagulant properties and form a solution.
7. Filter this solution through a muslin cloth to remove insoluble materials; add into the water to be treated.
8. Stir treated water rapidly for at least 1 minute then slowly (15-20 rotations per minute) for 5-10 minutes.
9. Let the treated water sit without disturbing for at least 1-2 hours.
10. When the particles and contaminants have settled to the bottom, the clean water can be carefully decanted. Simple!
For quality and viable moringa seeds, contact me on 08066646868/08122964741
Please do remember to share with your friends.