Catfish pepper soup, which often times is referred to as point and kill. It is the most popular pepper soup in Nigeria. It is one of Nigeria’s favorite evening meal and tops the refreshment menus of most bars and restaurants.
Many people enjoy the flavor of catfish, the softness and of course the juicy taste it puts in the mouth that stimulates desire for more.
It offers a variety of health benefits as well, including the fact that the nutritious fish in your
diet helps you meet your protein needs and boosts your intake of vitamins and healthy fats &
fatty acids. Consider catfish regularly in your meal planning.
Health Benefits of Catfish:
1. Catfish is low in mercury, almost all fish contains mercury, despite this, limiting your
consumption of fish to 12 oz. per week is recommended to decrease your exposure.
This is especially important if you are pregnant, since high levels of mercury may harm your
2. It is a good source of Vitamin B-12 a serving of catfish, and you take in 40 percent of
the daily recommended intake of vitamin B-12.
This vitamin promotes nerve function.
3. Provides large quantity and quality protein that helps the body build lean muscle mass.
It also helps improve the effectiveness of your immune function.
4. It Contains Healthy Fatty Acids, that is the omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
One serving of this fish provides 220 mg of omega-3 fatty acids and 875 mg of omega-6 which
helps heart and cognitive health
5. It is low in calories and fat that tends to trigger health problems.
Ingredients for catfish peppersoup: – Catfish – Ginger
– Yellow pepper or dried black pepper
– Fresh red pounded chilli pepper and tomatoes – Seasoning- Eire (scent leaf), Utazi vegetable,
Ere(It is a small round seed the Yorubas call ariwo), Uririen ( ong black seed like alligator pepper),
Gbafulo, Salt, a pinch of omilo, Aidan(it is a long black big thick stick that has plenty seeds inside it,
Garlic. (all these spices are not compulsory, but they give it a very spicy and rich pepper soup taste.
– Ginger – Fresh yellow pepper or ponded red chilli pepper
– Seasoning-Efiri(scent leaf)
– Uririen (3 seeds)
1. Wash the catfish with warm water to remove the slime from the skin
2. Grind all the ingredients (spice and pepper ) together
3. Add water into a pot big enough to contain the fish. Boil the water for about 5 minutes.
Then add ground spicies and pepper, a pinch of native salt and seasoning
4. Add the fish. Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes
5. Add the efiri scent leaf and small quantity of utazi which is bitter leaf.
Ensure it is not too much so that the pepper soup does not turn to bitter soup.
6. You can add sliced tomatoes if you want.
7. Check the seasoning if it is alright. 8. Then serve in a bowl with chilled drink.